Temporary agency social workers will be paid more in Birmingham to help keep children safe. The move to increase the rates of agency social workers for a six months period was approved today by Birmingham’s Cabinet in a bid to recruit more social workers to help with child protection duties in the City.
A recent Ofsted report has severely criticised Birmingham Children’s Services for failing to look after vulnerable children.
Councillor Brigid Jones told today’s Cabinet meeting that Birmingham currently pays well below the going rate for agency staff. The poor reputation that Birmingham has developed nationally has also put many social workers off, she said.
There are around 42 posts for qualified social workers in Child Protection for which agency cover has not been secured.
A social worker with two years’ experience currently gets £24.54 per hour. The increase will put them on £41.23 per hour.
TYBURN MAIL (TOPCLIFFE MEDIA)
Lower Ground Floor,
Castle Vale, B35 6BT
0121 749 1343
Office open: 9.30-5pm Mon-Thursday; 9.30-4pm Friday,
- Ray Woods commented on M6/A38 Aston Expressway closures "Expressway was closed last night." – July 29
- commented on 14-year-old mugged in Castle Vale: police release CCTV images "My son is from Castle Vale the incident happened while walking along main road from clock Garage. Two people have..." – July 28
- Rob commented on Castle Vale robberies: handbags snatched from women "Sorry but you're wrong, where this happend.. 1 the CCTV was pointing the other way or it would have seen!..." – July 28
- carpus diem commented on Pype Hayes Pool fish deaths: fingers point at duck feeders "is this the poisonous blue algae again" – July 28
- Charlie commented on Four Oaks drug dealer had deadly weapons "Blow me! Do I detect a hint of cocaine paranoia? Remember to keep your own nose clean." – July 28
- Kevin commented on Castle Vale robberies: handbags snatched from women "I do security and can use cameras, in a past job years ago whilst at Alstom in Washwood Heath, if..." – July 28
- carpus diem commented on Four Oaks drug dealer had deadly weapons "he would not be part of any functional family...................hes from a dysfunctional family." – July 28
- carpus diem commented on Four Oaks drug dealer had deadly weapons "yep dunce mate" – July 28
- carpus diem commented on Four Oaks drug dealer had deadly weapons "wow the racism here don't you get it hes a convicted drug dealer the entire family must be in on..." – July 28
Comments from readers
Tyburn Mail wishes to encourage free speech and open discussion.
Comments should not contain offensive language. Defamatory comments will not be accepted. Comments that breach the Contempt of Court Act or that breach copyright law will not be accepted. Comments should not contain links to other webpages or internet sites.
ADVERTISE YOUR BUSINESS OR EVENT IN TYBURN MAIL – REACH 24,000 READERS
Call Frank Kennedy on 07770895413.
100mm x 50mm, 100 x 100, quarter, half or full page ads.
We will design if you request.
Contact Tyburn Mail: call 0121 749 1343 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Arts and Leisure
- Fashion with Taylor
- Fat Alan
- Jobs and employment
- Local business
- Local committee or organization
- Music with Brookly
- Police and Emergency Services
- Schools and young people
- The Tyburn Horse Whisperer